The bare minimum that I expect, as far as customer service goes, is as follows.
- To be greeted pleasantly and politely.
- To be thanked when leaving in a pleasant way.
- To be treated in a respectful and friendly way during the transaction.
- To be given honest information in answer to questions, and for staff to have a good knowledge to answer those questions, or if more difficult to be able to find the answer.
The above are very basic principles. It surely is within the capabilities of anyone running a business to provide this level of service.
- Promises, such as phone calls to be returned are kept, and goods delivered on time. To be kept informed if there are any problems that might impact on those promises or expectations.
When I go into a store, visit a restaurant or stay in a hotel, I watch how the staff not only interact with me but also with other customers. I find it fascinating to watch how businesses are run and which ones get it right and those that don’t.
What about you? Have you any examples of good or really bad customer service that you have experienced? Please leave a comment below. I would like to hear from you.